Old 20-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Dee

Default Watering while away

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Dee wrote:

I cant't get the usal helpers to do some watering for us while we are

away
for a long weekend in a couple of weeks time.
I thought I might try the following.

Make a small hole (or 2) in the screw cap of a 2 litre drinks bottles,

cut
off the base, invert in the ground by each tomato plant and fill with

water.
My toms are in large plastic pots sunk into the soil borders of the
greenhouse.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any comments as to whether this will

keep
the plants from drying out over a 5 day period in early July in SE

London.

Yes, I did this several years ago for my courgette plants. However I
took the screw top off completely, cut the base off and put it in at an
angle. It worked a treat.

When I experimented without tops the water disappeared in less than one day
(into an already well watered pot). I'd hoped the tops would slow down the
feed rate.

AndyP