Old 04-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Julie

Default Mature size of these roses

saki wrote

Can you tear up any lawn? I always do when I'm facing this situation. :-)

As Radika responded, I don't live alone and the other person here
likes his grass. But I usually win a little more garden space when I
have a bunch of potted roses on the deck. After he walks by them
about 50 times and gets pricked, he decides they might be better off
in the ground. The other option is to put the pots on the lawn in
various locations. When he has to mow around them a few times, I
think I'll get my way. We addicts have to learn all these methods to
support our habit.

What about Gruss an Auchen? Can it be compared in size to Belinda's
Dream, Summer Snow, or Angel Face? Upright like an HT or more bushy?

About Angel Face's size, if I recall correctly (though I haven't grown
Angel Face since the early seventies). I've grown Gruss an Aachen from
various sources for years and think it's superb. For me it's never more
than two feet tall, sometimes less depending how it's pruned. Its habit
is bushy rather than upright.

That gives me a couple of choices. I have space for a smallish, bushy
rose at the base of White Maman Cochet, Cl. I was thinking of Purple
Buttons for this spot. I'd have to see the blooms on GaA first, to
make sure they don't clash. I expect them to be quite similar in
color. Angel FAce may come out this year, I'm getting tired of that
one cane and GaA could be the replacement.

And last but certainly not least, Can I grow Darlows Enigma and
Secret Garden Musk as large free standing roses like I do with
Crepuscule and Mrs. Cant, or will they need support like my regular
climbers, Reve d'O and Sombreuil?

I've seen a stand of Darlow's Enigma pruned into a four-foot-tall hedge
and it works; you may wish to let it climb though (mine is new as of last
fall and I'm not sure where it's going at the moment, but I'm inclined to
let it climb a pillar in the back garden).

I was kind of hoping this one would fountain out like SGM, but if it
doesn't I could replace Barbara Worl. She just isn't cutting it here,
beautiful blooms occasionally, but not enough of them or leaves for my
taste. This one may have to wait and see where I can find a space.

Some folks have previously told me that Secret Garden will eat my home
but more recently those same folks seem to have revised their account and
swear that I can grow it in a smaller space. I suppose careful shaping
would help. I plan to try it as a stand-alone rose for now and will see
how it goes.

I've never had one try to eat the house (yet), but a couple have grown
under the siding and the soffit. I'll keep this one away from the
house just in case. I'm not good at shaping them, I really like to
let them grow, unfortunatly I have a little lot and really like big
roses.

Thanks for the advice of experience.