Old 04-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Julie

Default Mature size of these roses

Radika Kesavan wrote
saki wrote:
(Julie) wrote in
om:

Thanks to Allegra, I have a rose order coming this way soon. G I
decided I couldn't live without Darlow's Enigma another year so I
ordered from Ashdown. Of course, one can't order just one rose, so in
the same package will arrive Secret Garden Musk and Purple Buttons.

Excellent choices! I have a Secret Garden Musk Climber arriving soon from
Ashdown; have the others already and think they're quite fab and gear.

I second the same "excellent choices!" exclamation about Purple Buttons.
PB took a little while to find its feet in its first year around here,
with may lackadaisical rose care, but when it settled down and in its
second year, it was quite fabulous.

Thank you. PB has been on my wish list for a long time. I keep
trying roses of this color without much success, but I think this one
will work out here. At least I'm hopeful. The key will be its BS
resistance or lack thereof. If it can keep its leaves, I'll be
thrilled! The scent and number of blooms are secendary.

Now I have to decide where the new presents might fit in my limited
garden space. So I'm looking for advice.

Can you tear up any lawn? I always do when I'm facing this situation. :-)

LOL! Depends on whether the other people in the household like their
lawns as much as we like our roses, I suppose.

I see you understand my situation very well.

What about Gruss an Auchen? Can it be compared in size to Belinda's
Dream, Summer Snow, or Angel Face? Upright like an HT or more bushy?

About Angel Face's size, if I recall correctly (though I haven't grown
Angel Face since the early seventies). I've grown Gruss an Aachen from
various sources for years and think it's superb. For me it's never more
than two feet tall, sometimes less depending how it's pruned. Its habit
is bushy rather than upright.

I don't grow AF or BD or SS, but I agree completely with what Saki is
saying about how Gruss an Aachen grows.

That't good news. Small and bushy, I need to choose more roses like
this, instead of the really BIG ones that require so much space. But
I really, really like big roses!