Old 20-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Vox Humana

Default "swiss cheese" hosta

"SKIP NEWBERY" wrote in message
At least they look like it. bug damage. live in Ohio. what can I apply
to them long-term to control whatever is doing it. Slugs, mites etc are
sometimes visible. Can I use an dormant spray or is there something that
will protect the whole plant, even from flying insects.

It has been a banner year for slugs in my Cincinnati garden. I have even
seen them out in the afternoon. They aren't limiting themselves to the
hostas either! I am seeing slime trails on the walkways. I don't like to
use the slug killers but I think I am going to check out the new, safer one
that has been discussed here. I have so many hostas that it is too time
consuming to apply the killer after each rain. That would be every day in
the weather se are having.

Before you do anything, make sure you verify that you have a slug problem.
You can generally find them at work at night or in the early morning.