Old 20-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Pam

Default "swiss cheese" hosta

SKIP NEWBERY wrote:

At least they look like it. bug damage. live in Ohio. what can I apply
to them long-term to control whatever is doing it. Slugs, mites etc are
sometimes visible. Can I use an dormant spray or is there something that
will protect the whole plant, even from flying insects.

Sounds like flea beetles, a small and innocuous pest that really does no
serious damage, but certainly can make hostas unslightly. Slugs and snails
typically munch from the edges in, while flea beetles will make small holes
throughout the leaf. It is seldom recommended to treat for these pests - one
needs to develop some insect tolerance.

pam - gardengal