Old 20-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Tim Tyler

Default Protecting Blueberries

jane wrote:

: Highbush blueberries can, if grown in ideal conditions, reach 8-10'
: tall, so having a bigger pot is best. The thing that gets me is that
: they are supposed to throw up stools from the base like blackcurrants,
: and you're supposed to cut out all old wood every now and again. Mine
: have *never* thrown up any new basal shoots, so I will be attempting
: to take cuttings soon from the worst condition old bush and then
: chopping it back to ground level to rejuvenate it.

It probably won't help you - but...

Mine are doing that.

Three on one bush and five on another - all starting between the ground
and three inches up. This is their first year with me.
--