Old 20-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Grey Heron came for breakfast

Shoot it. Yeah there's people who will say that it's against the law but I
ask you, did the person writing the law have a pond? Probably not.

Sam

"FBCS" wrote in message
I looked out my window this morning just in time to see this big grey

ready
to dine. I scared him off but I think he scared me more. He took off down
the road and looked twice as big as when he was sitting. Ugly thing! I

tried
to count my fish but they are in hiding. I have preforms (18" depth) so

they
can't go deep to escape. I have plants and rocks built up for hiding,

this
as a precaution because I had previously lost 9 fish about a month ago. I
thought it was a raccoon since I live in the woods, but I caught the beast
red handed this morning. I immediately covered the ponds with netting I

had
around to keep birds out of my grapes. The problem now is he knows where

we
are now. I want to enjoy the ponds not make a fortress out of it. I have
read that one can clean you out in one visit. I have determined to go to
rubber liner and dig to at least 3 ft straight down. I did not have this

in
the first place because I have a water dog (Chesapeake Bay Retriever) with
long claws.

Any suggestions?
Joann