Old 20-06-2003, 07:08 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Tamarisk: origin of "salt cedar"

Mike Lyle schreef
That isn't the case with English dictionaries, British or American:
they generally quote from other dictionaries only when there is no
earlier use known in literature. For examples see *Oxford English
Dictionary*, the very big one we usually call *OED*; or *New Shorter
Oxford English Dictionary*; or Merriam-Webster online.
[...]

Mike.

+ + +
Nice to see someone with such great faith (in dictionaries). I tend to be
wary. Lots of the trouble with language arises of an indiscriminate use of
the wrong dictionary.
PvR