Old 20-06-2003, 07:32 PM
jamie

Default dirt daubers?

Elliot Richmond wrote:
There are generally beneficial insects that prey on caterpillars,
spiders, or a variety of other critters and I would recommend leaving
them alone. Why do feel that you need to eliminate them? Would not
simply keeping your garage door closed solve the problem? (Assuming
you have a garage door.) Shoo them out of the garage before you close
the door if you are concerned about accumulating bad karma.

I want to be rid of them, because they scare me flying around in there,
especially flying into me, when I'm doing the laundry. I can't keep
the back door of the garage closed, because my elderly cats have a
fenced area of the yard and the shade of the garage to hang out in,
when they want to be outside.

If you want to prevent these insects as well as paper wasps from
building nests under the eaves of your house, paint the underside of
the eaves blue. (Really!) Apparently the wasps think it's sky or
something and won't try to build there. I guess you could try painting
the entire inside of your garage blue.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

--