Old 20-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Plastic wrap question

wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:14:25 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

wrote in message
news

Whichever of the options you choose, be careful of the surface on
which the operation stands.

I went away for a month, and grouped everything on plastic,
so my housemate could water easily. Came back to find hardwood floor
discolored due to leakage. Major PITA to r efinish!!!

I may have to do that again for a longer period. I'll either put
plants on the kitchen floor, or on a much thicker and better plastic
underlay. And warn housemate not to overwater!

Leave a measuring device, and tell the temporary plant servant to use it.

What kind of "measuring device"? The only one I know about is my
finger, stuck into the dirt. Seriously, please explain; thanks.

Sorry about being vague. Most non-gardeners probably wouldn't understand the
"stick your finger in the soil" method. So, leave them an empty 32 oz yogurt
container or something like that, and a list of which plants get how much,
how often. Err on the dry side.

My direct experience: I have a friend who left her plants alone for 5 weeks.
I was only able to visit during weeks 1 and 2. Out of a dozen plants, one
died. The rest insisted on looking awful upon her return, in order to teach
her a lesson. You're talking less than two weeks for yours. Have a friend
trickle a little water and you'll do fine. Plants are pretty tough.