Old 20-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Sunflowers vs. squirrels

writes:

I tried using hav-a-heart traps, but the squirrels even figured out
how to escape *those*. The squirrel would bang against one door,
which would cause the other door to raise just a tiny bit. The shock
also caused the bar holding the door to raise up, this allowing the
squirrel to get out of the trap. I watched at least 3 squirrels
escape using this method. I needed to resort to other control
measures to remove them.

You must have a defective trap(s). The traps I have cannot be opened by
pressure but a clip must be raised, from the outside. It's a bit bigger
(cat, racoon, etc.) but there is no way a critter can escape it unless
it's small enough to fit through the openings at the door edges (like a
mouse, etc.)

Even my small trap has such a strong spring that I must work to get it
open. Occasionally, they've gotten in late enough in the day that I could
not relocate them until the following morning, and they still have not
escaped. I'll tolerate a few in the yard but when I count eight on the
ground, that's it!

The sunflowers? The squirrels decimated them. If there had not been so
many, the birds would have gotten none. I have video of one squirrel
trying to get a sunflower head, 8-10 inches across, up the magnolia tree
- it's hilarious! Then, after all the work, it dropped to the ground,
after which he/she decided to take it in pieces.

That's my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Glenna