Old 20-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Rusty Mase

Default dirt daubers?

On 20 Jun 2003 17:56:22 GMT, (jamie)
wrote:

I want to be rid of them, because they scare me flying around in there,
especially flying into me,

Jamie, let me wade in here too as Elliot's post was most educational.
Mud daubers are a minor nuisance, mostly due to the little hives they
leave to raise their your in.

They are, as you say, only a scare, and nothing more. So I would say
just stop being scared of them as they are almost totally harmless.
I think I caught one in my hands once and it stung me very slightly
due to the compression I placed on it. I say stung but I do not
recall any pain with it, just the thought that it had stung me.

You can keep a fly swatter around and whap them as they fly by. When
they fly into the garage they are slow due to carrying insects to put
into the nests or mud to make the nest. Leaving, they are much more
agile. A tennis or badminton racket would work better. If you kill a
few I suspect you would start ignoring them.

Rusty Mase