Old 20-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Shiva

Default Simply Marvelous?

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:40:49 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

Did you mound your bare roots?

Yes!

Usually, it's a good month before you can safely uncover them (and
stuff starts peeking through the mulch).

Yep. I did not mound with earth as some do, but with pine straw mulch.
I watered at least every other day, and made sure the mulch was
reapplied when it slipped.

Well, I got them in the ground when I got back from DC, which would
have been around the 28th of May. Conventional wisdom says, leave them
covered until probably the very end of June or so.

Wow! I planted mine in March.

Anyway, I was thinking that with all of the rain you had, you might
have been able to get away with mounding only for a week or two just
to stabilize them, since you've had plenty of mousture and not much
sun.

You know, I think my problem is the nasty type of cane borers. I
generally do not pay attention to them and do not seal the holes,
because the not-so-nasty kind just lays its eggs in the end of the
cane and doesn't hurt the rose.. But the dead OTB has BIG holes in all
its canes. And I see them in other bare roots, the canes with holes
being the dead ones.

Here's a pic of the little babies, only three weeks after planting:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...miPlanting.jpg

And, here are the dreaded bleached stems:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...miBleached.jpg

Looks like they're darkening up nicely.

Here's the Don Juan tree planting:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/DonJuan1.jpg

You can see the string that I mounted to the left and that big cane in
the right plant is actually a long cut Aloha fishing pole cane being
used for support.

And finally, speaking of Aloha, here's the cutting again from today,
with a yardstick for reference:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/AlohaCutting1.jpg

I had a hard time getting the whole plant to stay in focus, so I just
gave up...

Everybody looks great!