Old 20-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Default Grey Heron came for breakfast

Someone here had bought a fake heron. The real Heron came by and started
trying to court the fake one, snatching the fish up and dropping them by the
fake herons feet. lol
Priss
"Coffee" wrote in message
Heron,s are territorial so the only thing thats known to keep them away is

fake heron at the pond. They sell for about 25 dollars and up. You just

have
to move it every couple weeks so the heron stays fooled.
If the heron thinks another one is there he'll stay away and choose

another
spot.
Patty
"FBCS" wrote in message
I looked out my window this morning just in time to see this big grey

ready
to dine. I scared him off but I think he scared me more. He took off

down
the road and looked twice as big as when he was sitting. Ugly thing! I

tried
to count my fish but they are in hiding. I have preforms (18" depth) so

they
can't go deep to escape. I have plants and rocks built up for hiding,

this
as a precaution because I had previously lost 9 fish about a month ago.

thought it was a raccoon since I live in the woods, but I caught the

beast
red handed this morning. I immediately covered the ponds with netting I

had
around to keep birds out of my grapes. The problem now is he knows

where
we
are now. I want to enjoy the ponds not make a fortress out of it. I have
read that one can clean you out in one visit. I have determined to go to
rubber liner and dig to at least 3 ft straight down. I did not have this

in
the first place because I have a water dog (Chesapeake Bay Retriever)

with
long claws.

Any suggestions?
Joann