Old 21-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Bonsai Height

In a message dated 6/20/2003 5:31:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

What is your average size bonsai (in inches), and why did you personally
pick that size?

There was a time when all my trees were 12 to 18 inches, but recently
have been getting larger. Some as large as 36 inches. I still must limit
size to what I can personally handle and as I get older the size may have to come
down again. The size is determined by a number of things. Larger is more
displayable but more expensive to pot up. Smaller is easier to handle, pots are
less expensive, but I am not sure they are as easy to make look good.

The other question that I have is when does a tree started from nursery
stock generally move to the status of Bonsai?

Depends upon the tree and the stock but I almost never put a tree in a
Bonsai pot for a year or two. It takes me that long to find the front and
the right pot.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --