Old 21-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Joanne

Default basil and cilantro

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message ...

I'm going to buy new basil plants (incidently, this was Thai basil, not
Italian basil, in case that makes a difference) and start all over again.
This time I'll keep them in their starter pots until they are very healthy,
then I'll transplant them. I'll keep them inside for a bit, too. I had
thought they were healthy, since they were quite plentiful. But they were
only ~5 inches high so I guess that may have been a toddler stage--old
enough to look as though they didn't need as much work, yet deceptively so.
Toddler plants probably need even more work than infant plants, at least in
my case!~

5 inches sounds large enough to go outside, you can't control the
weather.

Shade?!?!?!?! The little name/info thing with the plants said full sun!!!
Maybe that's one of the reasons they died so quickly! Darn it all!

A little shade, not all shade.

Also, I noted in another post that you used potting soil, did you mean
in the outdoor environment? Outside I would use triple mix (I think
that is a mix of top soil, compost and peat moss). Potting soil is
for indoor plants I believe. I have used potting soil sucessfuly to
germinate seeds indoors but I doubt that it is optimum in the great
outdoors.

jcm