Old 21-06-2003, 10:44 AM
GeoffH

Default Hummingbird Hawk Moth

Hi all,
Saw my first ever Hummingbird Hawk Moth (Macroglossum stellatarum)
last night.
Went out into the garden after watching Gardener's World and whilst
admiring my (nature's) handiwork I noticed this tiny creature darting
and hovering around the Sweet William.
I watched it for about 45-60 seconds before it flew away over the
fence, checking out the hydrangeas on its way.

Yes I did think it was a real hummingbird, but a quick check on the
internet dashed that hope.

Quite an amazing sight.
Makes up for all the missing butterflies so far
Did not realize a moth could have such rapid wing movement.
I will be out there tonight and hope it (he/she) comes around again.

Regards
Geoff
Norfolk