Old 21-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Pat Meadows

Default basil and cilantro

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:23:37 -0500, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

If I start one loafpan of cilantro each week (I have six of
them), I have a continuous supply of cilantro. The seed
wants darkness to germinate (or so I'm informed, anyway, by
Ann Reilly's 'Parks Success with Seed'), so I cover the
loafpan with foil until the seed sprouts. Then I put it in
the windowsill.

Do they grow during winter, too? We have very cold winters (I'm north of
North Dakota) so I would be a bit worried about them freezing to death.
Apparently mine have all died of sun-stroke, though, so I may as well try
out all the forms of death by exposure.

Sure. As long as they can get sunshine - but you'd probably
need to remove them from the windowsills at night or they'd
freeze. Just put them somewhere else at night.

For economy's sake, I usually buy 'coriander seeds' in a
grocery store and use them - although I did buy seeds from
Pinetree once and they don't bolt as quickly, so they're
probably worth it.

Pat

I never thought coriander spices would grow. I had always thought they were
irradiated or something like that. I can buy fairly cheap coriander from
the scoop and weigh all year round, so I'd have a constant supply!

Thanks again for the advice!

Give it a try! You've very little to lose. Being
experimental with gardening is fun, IMHO.

BTW, I didn't mention it, but I use either seed-starting mix
or Pro-Mix in the loafpans. Either seems to work well.

I grew garden cress this year in the same manner, but we
decided that neither of us likes it much so I probably won't
bother with it again.

Pat