Old 21-06-2003, 01:56 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default MOSQUITOES!!!

Neem oil is supposed to work against mosquitos -- either rubbing it on your
skin or clothes or spraying the yard.

And it ain't toxic. Well, what they sell at Lowes might be...but don't buy
that one for anything other than its approved use as an insecticide -- it is
supposed to be a concentrated form of the chemicals in Neem that most affect
bugs.

You can put it in torches like citronella at 1%.

It is kinda pricey tho...but then $200 then lots of propane ain't cheap
either. Gardens of the Ancients sells a rather large bottle (16 oz) for $25.

Right now I'm trying it as a non-toxic insecticide -- bugs hate the taste of
it. Watched a grasshopper walk all over a lemon tree trying to eat a leaf
the other day and he wouldn't take a single bite! Usually, this is their
most favorite tree in my yard!

You'll hate the smell for the first couple minutes...but then OFF doesn't
smell great either.

Out here in Leander, we are getting less than half the rain Cedar Park is --
only 5 miles away to my sister-in-law whom has mosquitos like crazy yet we
have almost none.

John Jarrett

"Minga" wrote in message
I swear my whole yard is infested. There is no standing water anywhere
that I can find. But my yard is friggin infested with these little
biting *******s. I cant go outside for more than 10 minutes and not get
bit like crazy. I dont really feel like pouring on 8 lbs of 'deet' just
to grill a steak!

Does anyone own one of those new propane powered killer-things ? Does it
work? Are they worth 200 bucks? I've seen then for 350 too! Anyone know
a place to rent one for a week?

Or should I stick with buying the yard-spray stuff? (i'm sure its OOOH
so good for the water/soil/my dog).

Is Austin "known" for mosquito problems ? I'm "new" here.

-Minga