Old 21-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Chet Hayes

Default Tree-Cutting Crisis with my neighbor

"The dog kennel remained until there son moved and took his
dog then they took it down. They mowed around it and kept the area
up."

Another factor to consider in Chris's situation is the law regarding
adverse possession. If someone encroaches on your property long
enough and certain conditions are met, it may ultimately become theirs
to keep. For that to happen, the use of your property had to be open,
(meaning it was visible and obvious) hostile (they had no permission
or legal right), and continuous for whatever period is required in the
particular state.

In the case of the dog house, compost, and mowing, the open and
hostile reqts were met. The point here is if you find someone doing
this, to protect your rights, they need to be told to stop. If you
want to allow them to continue for some period, have them sign an
agreement and consider the potential legal liability ie insurance
issues as well.

"Chris" wrote in message ...
The reason I bring up the property line is that when I bought my house one
of my prerequisites was that the property lines be marked officially. My lot
is actually 6 city lots in a small town (population of 805) 250' x 405'.
Surveyors came out and found the metal stakes put in a few years previously.
Found out that the neighbors dog kennel was on my property along with there
compost pile and about a 50' x 100' section of what they were cutting and
thought was there yard. I was pretty nice about it. I went out one day and
marked the stakes with flags and cleaned up there compost pile and moved it
over about 50 feet on there side.Then I mowed the lawn including what they
had been mowing. The dog kennel remained until there son moved and took his
dog then they took it down. They mowed around it and kept the area up. I
found it is best not to **** of the neighbors it can make life terrible if
you have to live there. I would find the official property line and hope it
is in your favor and if it not cut the tree down and move on. You can buy a
tree that is 20 years old and have it planted in my part of the country for
$250.00

"NewsUser" wrote in message
Heed the advice given below. My neighbors mistakenly assumed eight trees
were on their property. They removed them with not a word of warning to

us.
This was shortly after we moved in. Soon after that, we had a fence
installed and discovered every one of those trees had been well within our
side of the property line! These neighbors have not spoken to us for

almost
two years now - because we had the audacity to put up the fence to keep
their dogs from attacking people on our property (and to keep THEM from
cutting any more of our trees). And so it goes....

"Chris" wrote in message
Can your neighbor leagally build a fence on the property line? Where I

live
the fence has to be 2 feet from the property line unless the neighbor

gives
permission to build on the line. It may be worth while to look into rite
ways and where the property line is exactly.