Old 21-06-2003, 06:20 PM
FarmerDill

Default tomato wilt

Educate me then. Almost everything that I have read about tomatoes
(and that's quite a bit)refers to them as "heavy feeders". It is often
suggested to allow the area where tomatoes are grown to lie fallow
every few years or do crop rotation for that same reason.

I have also experimented for the past few years, some with NO bananas
and others WITH, my crops are always better when I include a few
slices of bananas close to the roots. I fail to see how a few slices
of a banana can be considered "over fertilizeing" but I'm open to
input.

Thanks

jcm

It is almost impossible to overfertilize with decaying vegetation. It is easy
to do with manures, fish products, and commercial fertilizers. Some of the
newer hybrid tomatoes are developed to respond to heavier fertilization, Merced
comes to mine. The old varieties tend to run to vine. Years ago we grew them
for the cannery with no more than 10 lbs to the acrea of 16% phosphate. ie a
phosphate bearing rock treated with acid. Small vines (marglobe) of 3 to four
feet but loaded with tomatoes. Rotation and fallowing are are almost esential
for holding down down tomato diseases like blights and wilts, Perhaps your
soil has adequate phosphorus, the major nutrient for fruiting vegetables and
low in potassium the major root nutrient. In any event, if it works for you,
keep at it. There are many successful ways to grow things,