Old 21-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Post Chop Maple Buds

I recently did a trunk chop on a maple. There are several buds
2" above
the bud that will be the eventual leader.

2 questions:

1) Should I chop off the remaining trunk that's above the

eventual new
leader?

2) If not, should I snub out the buds above the eventual leader

now, or
temporarily keep them til next year?

Don't be hasty. You don't know that the bud YOU selected as the
new top will:

1. Sprout, or
2. Be strong enough to become the leader.

You may need those other buds.

You also may need the stump above the bud to tie the resulting
sprout to.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++