Old 21-06-2003, 07:20 PM
VoySager

Default Wild Strawberry in the Perennial Garden

Fleemo wrote:

A little patch of what I believe to be wild strawberry (or ornamental
strawberry, I'm guessing) sprang up in my perennial garden this
season. The leaves look like strawberry leaves, but the strawberries
are small, pistachio-sized fruits that don't look particularly
appetizing. The foliage is fairly attractive, but I'm wondering if
there's a downside to giving it some space in my garden. Is it
invasive?

That might be Duchesnea indica, Indian Strawberry or Mock Strawberry:

http://www.missouriplants.com/Yellow...dica_page.html

In southeastern PA, it's a common weed of lawns and borders, mildly invasive
via vigorous stolons, but relatively easy to control by hand-weeding or lawn
herbicide.

Some websites consider it useful as a groundcover, and it probably could be
used in that manner here, though I wouldn't choose it over better plants. It
does grow well in no direct sunlight/high shade.

Bill