Old 22-06-2003, 04:08 AM
None

Default Problems with Park Seed

Park Seed is the worse. Try using their seed as a professional,
germination doesn't mean a thing if you can't get the seed out of the
package. We had to order from them one time in 36 years when there was a
seed shortage on several zinnia varieties. I thought I would never get all
the seed out of the package and we're talking the 25k seed count packages.
The package was the size of a sheet of paper, about four times the size of
the other companies we had purchased from!
One thing about seed is that your not guaranteed anything and you
don't always get what you pay for. We get some seed to germinate at 99.9%
while others may only be 10%, all from the same company. And we're not
talking about 100 seed, more like 100,000. Do the math, we paid for 100k
and end up with 10k. So, it's not the seed companies fault they didn't
germinate. As a grower we take the chance that they will.
I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but don't blame the seed or the
seed company. You took the chance of growing a plant from seed. If you
can't handle the risk, then buy a plant that a professional grower has
already grown for you.
Last year we used over 4,000,000 seed with an average cost of $18 per
thousand and ended with 92% germination. $5,760 never germinated. I'm not
blaming the seed company, I took the risk.

"Gary Hancock" wrote in message
I ordered from Park Seed last year for the first time for this year's
planting season, because I kept hearing so many good things about
them.

I planted about 10 different vanities. Of all of them, 8 types
germinated. The Rudbeckia Goldsturm and Viola Midnights had a ZERO
percent germination. I mean NOT ONE SEED grew. The other 8 grew fine.
The Rudbeckia and Viola are all in the same soil and in the exact same
conditions as the other 8 types, so I know I'm not doing anything
wrong. All the seed packets were stored together in a cool dry place.

Secondly, over half of the seed types I ordered last year have been
removed and are now no longer sold by Park Seed. So, if you buy from
them and like what grows one year, you don't have the reliability of
ordering again the next year.

I was quite surprised by these problems, these are the typical
problems that places like Michigan Bulb has. I ordered from Park to
avoid those problems, as I have read nothing but good things about
them online.