Old 04-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Holly tree?

Holly trees are everywhere here in the south. They are botanically called
Ilex and come in many shapes and sizes. There are Burford, Carissa, and
Yaupon (dwarf varieties) and Sentinel, Nellie R. Stevens, etc. There are
too many to recite.

Most hollies have a very stiff, glossy leaf. Some are very sharp and others
very round and small. If you do a search on google for Ilex, you'll
probably see some examples. Yes, many hollies are much bigger than 15 ft.,
so it is not out of the realm of possibility that you saw one. I looked up
some zone specs. on some of our hollies and they list some in zones 4-9, but
most of them are listed as zones 6-9. These are hollies that are sold in
our zone 7b, so I could be wrong about other varieties. Hollies can also be
limbed up to form a tree too. Most grow naturally in a conical shape
(Christmas tree shape).

Good luck on finding out which one it is.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"John Bachman" wrote in message
I have seen what I thought was a Holly tree on Cape Cod. But
searching for such thing has not uncovered it.

My wife thinks that it may have been a high bush cranberry.

Is there such a thing as a holly tree? The one I saw was about 15
feet tall.

TIA

John