Old 05-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Gregory Young

Default Koi & Trout

I had trout in my farm pond.. 12 ft deep. They lasted 6 years, but died when
the water temp got up to 76 degrees one August.
I would be concerned with introduction of pests into the ornamental pond.
Plus a trout will out-swim and out-eat slower GF/Koi.
Small fry will be trout chow.
Happy ponding,
Greg
PS Jan will you be at AKCA convention in Georgia this June?

"Charles" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:32:40 GMT, ~ jan wrote:

How would you answer this?

Asked of me by a fellow Master Gardener, where our mottos is, "If I don't
know, I will find out" therefore.....

Jim: I have a 500 gallon pond, with a few large koi and I want to know if

can toss a couple of trout in that I catch from the local river? Since
they'll eat while it's cold I could fatten them up before I fry them up.
Would this be a problem?

My answer: I don't know, but I'll find out.

How would you answer him rec.ponders??? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

You can toss the trout in. They will die.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others