Old 22-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Dave Fouchey

Default And you thought cutting your toe off with a lawnmower was bad

Seems you are forgetting our own national history.

Blessed are the poor
Luke 6:20

"The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus

(what it says at the base of the Statue of Liberty ,
Mother of Exiles, Liberty Enlightening the World)

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Read that again --

"Give me - give us - your poor.
Your exiles, homeless - we welcome them.
We're asking for them.
Give us your wretched refuse.
Please."

Funny, but you don't hear people talk like that much any more

http://members.tripod.com/doggo/doggpoverty.html
Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan