Old 22-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default basil and cilantro

"Joanne" wrote in message
m...

5 inches sounds large enough to go outside, you can't control the
weather.

True, but I could have controlled my trigger-round-up finger!

A little shade, not all shade.

Soooo...what is a little shade? I had the plants on the north side of the
house, which gets sun pretty much all day. The east side gets sun most of
the day, but shade in the afternoon. If I keep the cilantro outside, would
it be better to keep it on the east side or the north side? There is an
area right next to the house on the north side, which does not get as much
sun because it is shaded by the house.

Also, I noted in another post that you used potting soil, did you mean
in the outdoor environment? Outside I would use triple mix (I think
that is a mix of top soil, compost and peat moss). Potting soil is
for indoor plants I believe. I have used potting soil sucessfuly to
germinate seeds indoors but I doubt that it is optimum in the great
outdoors.

It said it was potting soil that was for outdoor pots. No-name brand.
Maybe I should have splurged for something a little pricier. At least I
would have known what I was getting, then. Oh well...next time! (Which
will probably be today!)

rona