Old 22-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Susan Erickson

Default help....

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 06:26:00 -0600, "molli"
wrote:

I work next door to a post office, and one of the employees brought me her
orchid yesterday to 'save'. It once was a lovely Cymbidium, what I received
was a large SMELLY (it stunk, and I mean stunk!) pot of this nasty stuff. I
managed to salvage two starts and a 'iffy' bulb which looks like its trying
to grow a new offshoot. I threw out the rest of the slimy stinky mess. So
far I have managed to identify rot, scale, and powdery mildew (on the iffy
bulb). I would like to try to see if I can save these three pieces. Besides
a dousing in physan, and some alcohol for scale what can I do? What should
I pot them in (they were in regular dirt) there ARE some viable roots.
Right now I have it unpotted to let it dry out some, poor thing was drowned.
Any help would be appreciated, especially on that bulb covered in powdery
mildew and lord knows what else.

Molli -

Most likely you will lose the moldy bulb. But for now the others
might enjoy an nice rest in a dim corner of the grow area with
some sphagnum to keep the humidity up but the air moving.
Standard Cym are heavy feeders and like a sweet organic, heavy
terrestrial mix.

On the other hand I grow my miniatures (Chinese) Cym in SH.
Going forward your babies might do well in that format. Do you
have any tags with this or is it a florist special?
SuE