Old 22-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Default repotting

Scully,

I don't like moss for my plants. It holds too much water and the roots rot
when I use it.

I would recommend going to your local plant supply store and buy a bag of
premixed orchid mix. It will have chunks of wood bark, some chunks of peat
moss, perlite, charcoal, and maybe something you can't identify.

When you get it home take enough to over fill a flower pot and soak it in
some warm water for about an hour to hydrate the mix. Take the plant from
the pot and carefully remove the old moss mix. A popsicle stick helps to
get that stuff that is stuck up between the roots. Don't worry if some of
the mix remains on the plant when you're done.

Evaluate the roots and trim any dead rotting roots with a new clean single
edged razor blade.

Sit the plant back into the same pot it came from and put the mix around the
plant slowly. Tap the pot on the table
to cause the mix to settle. Fill the pot to the same level the plant was
growing before. Make sure the mix is tapped and pushed in the pot so that
the plant is not wobbly. A wobbly plant will kill new roots when they try
to grow.

Unlike other houseplants you don't have to water at this time because you
want some air pockets with orchids.

Sit the plant where it will grow and let it rest for a week before you
water. In a couple of weeks check again for settling of the mix and top off
the mix (use it dry this time) to bring the level back to the base of the
plant.

With bark mix you should be good for about a year before you have to do this
again. Note: your mileage may vary! Some people who grow plants too wet or
in very humid locations have to repot in less than a year.

There are many websites devoted to orchid potting if you need additional
information.

Good Growing,
Gene

"scullytac" wrote in message
news
It looks like it was planted with a brown moss like substance that has
since
gotten green on top. What do I repot it with? It seems to be a 4inch pot.