Old 22-06-2003, 05:56 PM
MLF

Default I give up

"BB" wrote:
Ok, what's the meaning of OT in the subject line.
It has shone up in more than one subject from more than one person.
I have tried to figure it out, but I'm lost??

"OT" means "Off Topic". It is prefixed to a post's Subject line to alert
readers that the subject of the post is not related to the purpose of the
newsgroup.

For instance, if I wanted to tell everyone that my just wife had a baby in
the rec.ponds newsgroup, I should make the subject "OT: My wife had a baby"
because my wife's fecundity is unrelated to ponds. For folks who have slow
communications speeds, this will tell tham that they can avoid downloading
the message (and the related thread of post related to it) and not miss
anything.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)