Old 22-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Any pond experts

The message
from Jill Bell contains these words:

In message , Jane Ransom
writes

Why use chemicals?
Make the conditions right in your pond and the water should eventually
clear itself.

I've always believed that approach to work too - by the time the
oxygenators and the surface coverers have grown, the blanket weed/alga
usually gives up. Sadly this year it hasn't worked with one of our two
ponds and I'm not sure of the reason....... other than to say that all
the tadpoles in that pond died so I suspect a fairly catastophic
happening. Fortunately the dragon fly larvae have survived - the first
ones have taken wing over the last couple of days and our sticklebacks
have had babies so we must be doing something right.

Meanwhile I keep pulling out the green slime and hoping things will be
better next year.

Jill
--

We have two ponds completely free of blanket weed and a big newer pond
which has been getting a certain amount of blanket weed which I too have

What intrigues me is that all the blanket weed is round the oxygenating
plants anf the roots of the marginals and the area without any plants in
is crystal clear. As well as being more difficult to pull out because
great mounds of plant come with it, it tempts you to think that the
oxygenators are causing or at least attracting the blanket weed.

I know this is not supposed to be the case but it still leave me
wondering why the blanket weed forms where it does.

Janet G