Old 22-06-2003, 06:44 PM
M. Tiefert

Default another newbie question--canteloupe this time!

In article , "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote:
... Since I only have two plants, should I
have planted them right next to each other? Also, I didn't make a hill. I
just stuck them in the ground, level with all the rest of the ground. Was
this a mistake? They haven't died, yet, unlike most of my other plants, so
I'm hoping I haven't screwed them up beyond repair. I could still replant
them the right way, I think. Couldn't I?

Hi Rona,

If they're doing OK, just leave them - you'll probably stress them more
by moving them than by leaving them alone. The need for a hill depends
on the rainfall and temperature where they're growing - having a hill
improves drainage and allows the soil to warm up faster in the spring.
If you're concerned about drainage (or need to give them more water
without having it all run away), you could dig a shallow circular trench
about a yard (meter) or 2 in diameter around each plant. But if the
plants are happy now - don't make changes! :-)

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/