Old 22-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Anne Lurie

Default central NC

Shiva,

About the ponds -- many people with ponds have pump/waterfalls and fish of
some sort, so the mosquitoes don't really have much chance to get started
because there's no standing water.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Shiva" wrote in message
s.com...

-- "Susan H. Simko" reminded me that I am not
alone as I struggle not to float away!

I don't have to look too hard to see drowning roses. Unfortunately.
I'm beginning to think maybe an ark might be in order. Hard to believe
last year we were begging for rain...

Too true. Never a dull moment. We are nothing if not inconsistent.

I think I got a clear indication of how much rain we've had last night.
I took the grabage out about 10:30 p.m. but didn't bother to flip the
spotlight on for the driveway. About halfway down the driveway, I
notice this huge living thing in the driveway - darn near 6" long. My
first reaction was that it was a wolf spider (*yuck*) so I tapped it
with the bottom of the garbage bag figuring I'd know real quick if it
was a wolf spider. It scuttled away so I was reassured it wasn't a wolf
spider.

Aren't these the big BIG hairy ones that move really fast?? If not,
what did you expect it to do? Just curious. Spiders fascinate me. Like
a train wreck. *shudder*

Mutant cricket possibly? I put the garbage in the can at the
curb and went back into the kitchen and grabbed a big container. Back
outside, I maneuvered the mutant cricket into the container and took it
inside to examine it. It was a crayfish!

Ahahaha!! No WAY! You win the "bet it's wetter here" contest!

[...]

S/he's currently in residence in the hospital fishtank with the honor of
being the first resident to the new pond when I (hopefully!!) finish it
this weekend.

Attagirl, when life gives you three billion gallons of water, don't
whine, build a pond! G

Gotta move 3000 pounds of rock first, 300 pounds of sand
and 200 pounds of soil.

Oo. Where is that SO?

Hey Shiva, would you believe we had to jackhammer through 24" of
sandstone to carve otu the pond basin? If I hadn't been there, I would
never have believed it! Not in NC. Clay, roots, *maybe* a small stone
but not an area of 8' by 5' completely filled with solid sandstone. We
never even hit bottom.

Holy crap, that is really strange. I have never heard of such a thing.

Guess I'm glad I never targeted that area of the
yard for a rose bed. *grin*

As well you should be! I'm wondering, what do people with ponds do
about the skeeters? I get eaten alive every time I venture forth, so
have to spray that Cutter stuff on me. It is very gross and clearly
not a desirable substance to have on one's skin. Also, what are you
going to plant in and around your pond?

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu