Old 22-06-2003, 09:32 PM

Default Kalmia Latifolia (Mountain Laurel) Question

None of your seedlings are Kalmia. I have grown lots of Kalmia from seed and
the seedlings are really small. It takes the seedlings about six months to get
one inch tall.

I suspect that what you grew are weeds whose seeds were in your potting mix

--beeky

mbillian

Last Winter I gathered some Kalmia seed capsules from the local woods here
in Maryland. I soaked the seeds overnight in water and placed them indoors
on peat moss trays, inside clear plastic bags. Several of the seeds
germinated after about a week but failed to grow more than about a 1/2 in.
in height (I used 16 hrs. flourescent light a day and the temperature has
been kept around 70 degrees). Three of the seeds germinated within a couple
of days and grew rapidly. On one trial I ended up with the 2 plants shown
at the bottom of the page, on another I ended up with the one at the top.
http://www.geocities.com/gridcat2/in...?1056159151406

Why do the 2 lower ones look so unlike Kalmia? I don't see how I could have
contaminated the seeds. If they're something else, can anyone identify
them?
thanks
Mitch
--remove nospam from email address when replying.