Old 22-06-2003, 11:56 PM
WNeptune

Default keikis on keikis on keikis

Subject: keikis on keikis on keikis
From: "Boystrup Pb, ann,..."
Date: Sun, Jun 22, 2003 1:34 PM
Hi,
How about putting different dendrobium Kingianums (different colours)
together.
I did it this year with a Den. kingianum (botanical) together with a Den.
kingianum var album.
5 keikis in one pot and all with flowers at the same time. It realy looked
good. Sorry I didn't have a camara at the time, still don't. So no pic's
Peter

This is a frequently asked question, however, the problem with putting more
than one plant/pot is that it is no longer eligible for judging-neither ribbon
judging for shows, nor AOS judging for any of the awards. This may not seem too
important, but if one is going to grow a plant on for any size or appearance it
becomes of importance down the road when one just might wish to enter it into
an exhibit.
I just have to comment on the term Den kingianum var "alba". Alba clones in
kingianum are just as uncommon as alba clones in other species, and are
actually quite rare. Most so called albas when selfed produce 85% colored
forms. I do not like to see the term alba used unless the plant has been proven
to be an alba by selfing, and instead referred to as a white form. This becomes
of importance to anyone wishing to do any hybridizing if an "alba" is truly
needed in the cross.
Also, the problem of mounting kingianums: No question but that mounted plants
are frequently attractive; however, if one wishes to grow the plant to its best
advantage, then kingianums should not be mounted. In Australia this has been
demonstrated by many. I formerly kept one mounted for several years to
demonstrate this both in growth and flowering. The mounted plant never measured
up to the potted plant, even when using the same clone.