Old 23-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Susan Erickson

Default help....

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:46:40 -0400, bb wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:07:59 -0600, Susan Erickson
wrote:

Standard Cym are heavy feeders and like a sweet organic, heavy
terrestrial mix.

Excuse my newbieness, but what would a sweet organic,heavy terrestrial
mix consist of?

I just happened to run across a cymbidium in need of a home and a re
potting job. The tag says Cymbidium Freshie Pauwelsil X Finlay
Sonianim. The plant itself didn't seem in bad shape, but the roots
were a rotten mass.

The info I downloaded from the aos suggests a mix of fir bark, perlite
and peat moss, but no ratios of how to mix.

bb

Don always went to the local mushroom farm and got the mix they
had grown mushrooms on last year. Very heavy in 'Farm organics'
and rich. He used 1/3 that and 1/3 recycled bark - but for the
life of me I don't know what else he mixed in. It was very heavy
and may be similar to what Molli found originally. It did have a
tendency to get 'gamy' or 'barnyard smelling'.

I have also seen people grow them in a standard orchid mix which
is what AOS is suggesting. The question is how do you water?
If you use a heavy hand and have decent humidity - lighter on the
peat and heavier on the perlite so it drains. If you need to
retain moisture in the mix due to the dryness of your area or the
length of time between watering, add more peat.
SuE