Old 23-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Quantum Cat Matt

Default Morning Glory Question

Generally, morning glories like to grow upward. I noticed you only had two
in the pot. You may want to have more depending on the bird species in your
area. Some of them here in NJ like to pick the seedlings for nest material.
Morning glories are pretty hardy and agressive plants once they are firmly
rooted and established (usually after a month or two of slow growth). Then
they are fecund, flowering multiple times daily all summer long. You are
right, they will like the sun, but if the rope is "upward" then the mg's
should latch on with no problems.

-Matt

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
My seeded morning glories are starting to pop up and get ready to climb.
I have several different vines going on different trellises. For one
trellis, I strung a rope across the sidewalk connected to an adjacent
tree of heaven. Today it suddenly occurred to me that these morning
glories might not want to grow along that rope since it would be growing
away from the sun. Here's a picture of the situation:

http://www.brandylion.com/images/mg3.jpg

I'd like the plants to grow along the right rope. There's another
container that has more that I want to grow along the left rope. The
sun, however, is behind the camera in the opposite direction. Is it
possible to train these plants to grow in the other direction? This is
my first year growing morning glories and moon flowers vines.

BTW: The seedling in the front is a Chianti sunflower.