Old 23-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Andy Spragg

Default Hummingbird Hawk Moth

"Essjay001" pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Mon, 23 Jun 2003 04:30:14 +0000 (UTC), and nailed this to the
shed door:

^ OK so there I was sitting by the pond feeding the fish when this beast came
^ along and hovered in front of me. Having never seen one before I was
^ somewhat apprehensive. (Strange things with stings worry me). First off I
^ thought it looked like a very fat damsel fly, but in the time I had to look
^ at it (not very long) I noticed its abdomen was about the size of a 13 amp
^ fuse, tan in colour and furry. Very rapid wing movements. Not much to go on
^ I know but all I was thinking was 'if that thing has a sting I could get
^ hurt' any ideas?

A hornet?

Andy
--

"No, you claim the magpie is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of magpies."