Old 23-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Tamarisk: origin of "salt cedar"

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message . ..
Mike Lyle schreef
That isn't the case with English dictionaries, British or American:
they generally quote from other dictionaries only when there is no
earlier use known in literature. For examples see *Oxford English
Dictionary*, the very big one we usually call *OED*; or *New Shorter
Oxford English Dictionary*; or Merriam-Webster online.
[...]

Mike.

+ + +
Nice to see someone with such great faith (in dictionaries). I tend to be
wary. Lots of the trouble with language arises of an indiscriminate use of
the wrong dictionary.
PvR

I don't think what I said was matter of faith, surely? The
dictionaries have a better chance than I do of identifying the first
published use of a word, given that thousands of people like us are
constantly sending in verifiable dated references: this isn't
guesswork. When they quote examples from other dictionaries, they say
so.

Or do you mean they're not 100% reliable about the *meanings* of
words? Of course you have to use your judgement, as with any reference
book. No argument there.

Mike.