Old 23-06-2003, 01:56 PM
torgo

Default If you could only plant three rose bushes...

Ouch - I'm hard pressed trying to narrow my own list down to 30 for
when I move in a few years. Three seems outright cruel.

I'd add "nice bushy form" to the criteria, though "lots of blooms"
kind of covers that since you don't want climbers.

If you're wanting a red among the three, an often overlooked one to
consider would be Kentucky Derby. Most of my reds pout in the heat of
summer (Atlanta, zone 7), but both of my Kentucky Derbys are taking
off despite complete neglect over the last month while I've been out
of town for work almost constantly.

If you're into yellows (I'm not), I've heard that Graham Thomas will
grow to Godzilla-like proportions in the California climate. It
certainly gets big elsewhere.

For a pink, my absolute favorite is Brigadoon. I don't know how well
it does in Southern California, but my two were still blooming after
Thanksgiving last year and were going again by Easter this year. Mine
are prone to black spot if I miss a spray cycle, but they seem to
tolerate it well. The blooms are large, pink-white blend with a
moderate tea fragrance. (Alternate pink to consider is First Prize.
Downsides - not fragrant, and in its second year of growth I've had to
stake the canes to support it. On the plus side, it's growing well,
has been trouble free, and the blooms make impressive cut flowers.)

I'm experimenting with quite a few mauve / mauve blends this year, but
none have stood out as being particularly hardy or robust bloomers. I
like them (Intrigue is really growing on me and will probably be among
my 30 when I move) but none of them would make the top three.

On 20 Jun 2003 10:03:08 -0700, (satujinn) wrote:

I am landscaping my new home and despite the fact that I have a huge
property, my wife is limiting me to three rose buses. Don't ask.

SO, in S CA, San Fernando Valley area I would like to know what three
bushes you would plant?

My criteria a

Lots of blooms,

Hardy,