Old 23-06-2003, 01:56 PM
animaux

Default Bluebonnets!

This is a good time to put out the bluebonnet seeds. I seed wildflowers when
they naturally drop seed. Bluebonnets are already germinating and forming
rosettes for next year. I also was able to harvest about two pounds of seed,
which, right before the next planned rain will be spread out back in the
gardens.

I could never get Indian paintbrush to get going, so I bought plants at The
Natural Gardener last spring and planted them. Maybe now they'll reseed and
I'll see those interspersed with the L.texensis.

I also planted seeds for prickly poppy (still blooming) galliardia, Mexican
hats, coreopsis and grasses. I wasn't aware that Indian painbrush was or is a
parasitic plant. That's why it does so well with bluebonnets. The nodules of
nitrogen found on the bluebonnets supply the Indian paintbrush with needed
nitrogen. They are parasitic and sometimes come in 4 inch post with what looks
like weeds, but they are put there by the growers to supply what they need to
flourish. In the catalog, they say not to remove the grassy looking weeds when
planting.

yours sound great,
Victoria

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 15:36:46 GMT, Karen wrote:

I've been too busy (and too neglectful of my garden) to read this
newsgroup lately, but I wanted to say that of all things, I have a
bluebonnet blooming! This is from a seed I planted last fall. I hope
that next year it will be on a regular schedule. (And there will be
more of them.)

Karen