Old 23-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default another newbie question--canteloupe this time!

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:14:31 -0400, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

if you read SqFt Gardening it is very important to read his website
articles and to use more up-to-date sources of info. His book is
twenty years old and has not been updated. In it he advocates working
the dirt to an 18inch depth. I followed that lead when preparing my
garden. However on the website he says that that thinking is old and
6-8 inches is all you need if you use the right planting mix. His
frost dates were also a month off in the book so don't rely on that
(another point of initial confusion for me when I started).
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Right. (I don't know about his frost dates, haven't checked
them.)

I also find 4 feet too wide for a bed - can't reach it all
easily. 3 feet is much better for me. Actually, we're
using round raised beds (tire gardening).

Pat