Old 23-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Mike

Default New Allotment, part two...

In article , Colin Davidson
writes

My only real problem now is sourcing as much horse manure as I can find, and
getting it to my plot.

Many of the places around me sell Horse Manure in Black Plastic bags,
50p a bag. Now you cold put that inside another bag and transport it in
the boot of your car ............ as fast as you can :-) to your
allotment. The other alternative, not as fast is the compost heap.

That and the fact that with only about a fifth of my
own plot dug over, the empty patch next to it is also looking tempting, and
if I don't take that and want more space in future it'll be hard to get an
adjoining one... And they're so cheap to rent...

Will you have time to run 2 ? ;-} Years ago, just after I was married, I
had an allotment and an old fellow nearby had 5. He 'lived' there!! But
it was his whole life and hobby and was retired.

What you could do now, is to take it and keep it covered with plastic,
old carpets, old cardboard until you are ready for it, then open it up a
bit at a time. The soils 'should' be nice and clean of weeds. In theory.

Mike
Just about to cut the grass in his window box.

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more