Old 23-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default central NC

Shiva wrote regarding wolf spiders:

Aren't these the big BIG hairy ones that move really fast?? If not,
what did you expect it to do? Just curious. Spiders fascinate me. Like
a train wreck. *shudder*

Yep. The first time I saw one my reaction was that there aren't
supposed to be tarantulas in NC. *yuck* I tapped him with the garbage
bag expecting to smoosh him. I would have if it wouldn't have been a
crayfish.

Ahahaha!! No WAY! You win the "bet it's wetter here" contest!

I still can't believe it myself especially since my driveway is rather
sharply graded uphill and the house is higher than those across the
street and the house to my right.

Attagirl, when life gives you three billion gallons of water, don't
whine, build a pond! G

My thoughts exactly.

Gotta move 3000 pounds of rock first, 300 pounds of sand
and 200 pounds of soil.

Oo. Where is that SO?

London dealing with a cranky, sick aunt. The s.o.'s mother and her
sister were raised in an orphanage in Ireland so they have no family
other than each other and since mom is here, that leaves no one in
England to help the aunt. Personally, I got the easy end of things with
simply moving the rocks. I finished the pond last night around 8:30
p.m.. Today, I hurt. *grin*

As well you should be! I'm wondering, what do people with ponds do
about the skeeters? I get eaten alive every time I venture forth, so
have to spray that Cutter stuff on me. It is very gross and clearly
not a desirable substance to have on one's skin. Also, what are you
going to plant in and around your pond?

Goldfish go in later this week. The s.o.'s parents want me to put in
koi (they have koi in their pond) but I don't feel like messing with
koi. If a heron eats the goldfish, you go buy more. I'm not into
supplying herons with $50 dinners.

The pond also has a waterfall so between that and the fish, there should
be no problems with mosquitos. At my previous house, I also put in a
pond and didn't have any mosquito problems with fish and a waterfall.

As to plants, I have put in two water lilies (one pink and one white),
purple japanese irises, some kind of rush, and two other plants I can't
remember the name of. One of them has tiny pink flowers and the other
purple. I'm going to add some parrot's feather which is simply a green
water plant and some floating water hibiscus which also bloom purple.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu