Old 23-06-2003, 04:56 PM

Default Weed control

Hi,
I have a row of red pines planted alongside of a road in front of my house
for a privacy screen and to reduce road dust. They are about 10-15 feet
tall now and are growing quite nicely. But I have a problem controlling
weeds around them. Before when the trees were smaller it was possible to
mow between them with small lawn mower. Now the trees are starting to grow
together (as planned) and it is too difficult to get a mower or weed wacker
between them. I don't want to trim the lower branches off. I need to
control the weeds some other way. I have a large pile of wood chips from
branches that could fill in under the trees but I have heard that the wood
chips will deplete the soil of nitrogen badly needed by these trees. Am I
correct in thinking that the wood chips will harm the trees growth? Does
anyone have a recommendation? Thanks in advance.
Steve