Old 23-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Dr Dan

Default Elderflower wine

I have always run a fork through the bunch to remove the flowers, just
the same as elderberries. The tiny stalks attached to the flowers do
not add any bitterness or off-flavours from my experience.

Harrumph. I am vexed. Went out on Saturday evening to collect a couple
of bags of elderflowers, and then spent a couple of hours /trying/ to
"separate flowers from stalks". And it seems to me to be virtually
impossible. Particularly with the freshly-opened flowers, which a
colleague advised me to concentrate on because they are heavier on the
aromatics. What I ended up with is about half a gallon of flowers,
most of which are attached to bits of thin green stalk.

Elderberries are a doddle by comparison, given patience. Does anyone
have any helpful advice on how to achieve a cleaner separation? Or is
my experience normal, and it doesn't actually matter too much?

--
Dr Dan