Old 23-06-2003, 06:08 PM
GeoffH

Default Hummingbird Hawk Moth

Yes it was still light.
From the photos I could find on the internet it looked like it was.
I will check the magazine just to make sure.
It was just such an unusual sight to see that brain just would not
function, not that it does at the best of times.
All I can remember now is the mottled rump it had.
No chance of seeing what the wings where like at all, except they
looked hummingbird like if that's any good :-)
It remains daylight until after 9pm here in Norfolk.
GeoffH

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:32:59 +0100, "A.Malhotra"
wrote:

Are you sure it was a hummingbird hawk moth? They are usually day fliers
AFAIK. There are lots of other hawkmoths that are night fliers. There is an
excellent guide to hawmoths of the UK in this months BBC Wildlife mag.
Anita