Old 23-06-2003, 06:45 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Tomato Plants Wilting

"Fred Mann" wrote:

The sick and healthy plants are not clustered in any obvious way, but I
guess that does not rule out a drainage problem. Are there any other
possibilities? Should I try some sort of fertilization?
Thanks again,
Fred Mann

I'm not one to offer any experienced advice. If you are seeing the
weather change that we are you may see a few days of sun this week.
That may help. We had some tomato plants that were yellowed but some
sun bounced them back. We also had some that were rather scraggly with
tiny curled green leaves. However the top growth on those have started
to look healthy--that was the first sign of recovery. On my older one
the bottom leaves browned and died but the top growth is now exploding
and stretching for the 2foot mark.

I'm never sure what to do with fertilizer. Too much you burn the plant
and hurt it. Too much nitrogen you won't get fruit. I'm also unsure of
how long certain fertilizers take to get into forms the roots will
absorb.

My reading has recommended liquid seaweed. I have an organic
concentrate (0-4-4) which gets diluted. It also has 20-30 minerals
that some other fertilizers may lack. It is recommended to use it
when plants are stressed by insects, weather, root disease or fungus.
I know the last number (#-#-4) is potassium and is essential for root
health and growth which bolsters the plant's immune system. Seaweed
can be used as a leaf sprayer or in watering.

Hope that helps.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener