Old 23-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Mark Anderson

Default Morning Glory Question

In article says...
Generally, morning glories like to grow upward. I noticed you only had two
in the pot. You may want to have more depending on the bird species in your
area. Some of them here in NJ like to pick the seedlings for nest material.
Morning glories are pretty hardy and agressive plants once they are firmly
rooted and established (usually after a month or two of slow growth). Then
they are fecund, flowering multiple times daily all summer long.

Yes. I paid $4 for a flowering morning glory in a 4" pot and
transplanted it to a bigger one. One day, I took it off the ledge and
put in on the floor of the roof garden. I left for an hour and came back
and the entire plant was violently shredded. Having two dogs, I didn't
know which one to blame but it was shredded so badly that it had to have
been something else. I suspected a squirrel but perhaps it was a bird.
I have since planted a packet of seeds and have morning glory seedlings
in lots of different containers.

You are
right, they will like the sun, but if the rope is "upward" then the mg's
should latch on with no problems.

I can rig something for them to go up initially but will they keep
following the rope if it starts to go down? There are people in my
neighborhood who have these things covering their fences so it appears
they do sometimes go sideways. I really wanted to get them to go over
the sidewalk but the higher branches of this tree are too unstable in
high wind conditions. If I attach the rope to them it's likely that
everything will get knocked over in a storm.